Bonnie E. Spencer
Bonnie E. Spencer started the firm in 1993 to provide a full range of legal services to private clients including civil litigation, corporate and partnership law, mergers and acquisitions, business, shareholder and partnership disputes and traditional transactional and securities matters. Her philosophy was to give focused, business driven legal advice so that clients could make the very best legal and business decision. This philosophy has proven successful and in a difficult era when many firms are struggling to find their niche. The Spencer Law Firm has been expanding and now includes a talented group of lawyers who have the ability to handle most legal problems that may arise for both the corporate client and the general public. The firm has expanded its practice to include multidistrict product liability cases. However, the firm's central theme of service is still intact and is a holdover from the very first day the firm opened its doors to the public and is readily apparent when the potential client calls. In an era of voice messages and long wait time for call backs, The Spencer Law Firm insists upon maintaining personal service and one small, but important distinction in this world of automated voice mail, is having a human receptionist who will assist the potential client to make contact with an attorney for a consultation. On every level, from our staff to our attorneys, to provide the assistance needed.
Bonnie E. Spencer is the senior lawyer in the firm. She has been practicing as a business, securities, transaction, and litigation attorney on the Houston legal scene since 1980 and has enjoyed serving her many corporate and individual business clients. She believes that it is an adventure and a challenge for her to find the solution to every legal problem brought to her by our clients.
Bonnie has long assisted various clients such as individuals who have lost money because of fraud, criminal activity or negligence, broker-dealers needing help to comply with regulatory licensing and compliance, businesses having disagreements with other businesses or investors, individuals with claims against investment firms, SEC, state and FINRA regulatory compliance, capital formation, white collar criminal defense, shareholder/partnership/member disputes, and internal business administrative/control/operational difficulties, and other general company and partnership problems of all types.
- Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D. - 01/1980
- Loyola University, College of Business Administration Graduate Division, New Orleans, Louisiana
- M.B.A. - 01/1980
- Loyola University, College of Business Administration, New Orleans, Louisiana
- B.B.A. - 05/1976
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Class Rank, 6th
- Major: Banking and Finance
- Jenkens & Gilchrist, P.C.
- Kirk & Lindsay, P.C.
- Axelrod, Smith, Komiss & Kirshbaum
- Weiner, Strother & Lamkin
- Sonfield & Sonfield
- Chevron U.S.A.
- State Bar of Texas, Member, Present
- Houston Bar Association, Member, Present
- Harris County Bar Association, Treasurer, Present
Board And Chair Positions
- Former Certification Committee Chair, Houston Women’s Business Council, 6 years
- Former By-Laws Committee Chair, Houston Women’s Business Council
- Former Board Member, Board of Directors, Women’s Business Enterprise Council
- Former Board Member National Association of Women Business Owners
- Former Member Services Chair, National Association of Women Business Owners
- Former NAWBO Delegate, Federation of Houston Professional Women
- Nominee for NAWBO Business Owner of the Year
- Awarded Scholastic Merit Scholarship, 1973 - 1974
- Outstanding Freshman Award, Delta Sigma Pi, 1972 - 1973
- Who's Who in the World, 8th Edition, 1986
- Who's Who Among American Women, 15th Edition, 1986
- Who's Who Among American Women, 14th Edition, 1986
- Who's Who Among American Colleges and Universities, 1975 - 1976
- Filed False Claims Act case which the Justice Department and the Department of Education accepted which led to a request for disgorgement of $187,000,000.00 from the respondent.
- Recovered $2,235,784.00 in a multi-plaintiff, complex securities arbitration for three Plaintiffs; attorney’s fees were approximately $463,644.00 and $100,000.00 in expenses.
- Lead counsel on two related cases involving approximately 95 plaintiffs in Deceptive Trade case.
- $500,000.00 Plaintiff settlement in ADEA (age) and ADA (disability) discrimination suit against Fortune 500 company; client recovered $300,000.00 in a 40% contingency fee agreement, expenses were $11,220.00.
- Plaintiffs’ award in securities arbitration totaling in excess of $370,000.00 which held the CEO personally liable for a portion of the award. Client received all of these funds.
- Advise Broker Dealer and Investment Adviser clients on the various public and private financing vehicles available and the regulations controlling same under both federal and state law.
- Developed hedge fund for investment advisory client to consolidate trading strategy for portfolio of clients.
- Project case manager coordinating civil, tax and criminal counsel on federal mail/wire fraud defense in potential 50 state indictment involving complex international tax issues, insurance and securities fraud, extradition from foreign country, civil trials and resulting in a $1,200,000.00 restitution and downward departure issues for sentencing to 9 months.
- Representation of minority shareholder in complex divorce litigation in which client held the controlling vote for board representation.
- Lead counsel for corporation held in gridlock by minority shareholder pursuant to shareholders’ agreement and developed strategy for sale of further stock issuance which diluted voting control.
- Removed $800,000.00 of contested liens against high rise commercial building for a group of Asian national clients.
- Closed over 164 real estate lots with major developer, U.S. Homes.
- Lead counsel of sale of high rise commercial buildings.
- Lead counsel in age discrimination litigation against Fortune 500 company.
- Defended majority shareholder and private company in sexual discrimination litigation.
- Defended majority shareholder and company in shareholder derivative action.
- Prepared Regulation A offering documents, all state and federal filings and respond to comment letters.
- Equity purchase of five corporations and consolidation of franchise interest in an L.L.C. from national franchise chain.
- Develop stock option and bonus compensation plans, shareholder agreements, and various corporate records authorizing same.
- Incorporated limited liability corporations, a C Corp, and advised others on the efficacy of the new statutory vehicles for limited liability.
- Settled complex Dallas, Texas anti-trust case involving Mexican national client corporation against defendant Fortune 500 company.
- Developed international financial products and the underlying documentation for large multi-national insurer and re-insurer client.
- Defended Fortune 500 company in attorney fee dispute.
- Defended multi-national insurer in New Jersey insurance bad faith case that led to a withdrawal of plaintiffs’ counsel and dismissal of case.
- Defended Fortune 500 real estate management company in age discrimination litigation with Plaintiff’s case dismissed on summary judgment motion.
- Large freight forwarder defense in personal injury case.
- Broker Dealer’s counsel in $20,000,000.00 REIT S-11 filing with the SEC.
- Premises liability case against Fortune 500 hotel chain.
- Advise Broker Dealers in SEC and State regulatory and criminal investigations.
- Defense of Broker Dealers in investor related disputes.
- Five (5) company rollup merger into L.L.C.
- Settled nationwide insurance bad faith class action for Insurance Company client for $60,000 on potentially catastrophic liability exposure.
- Prepared Wells Submission on behalf of clients alleged to be involved in violations of Section 5 of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended in case where disgorgement penalties exceeded $500,000.
- Assisted SEC in prosecution effort for defrauded clients against rogue broker to prepare federal criminal case against broker resulting in criminal indictment, prison term and disgorgement of client funds by employer broker dealer and the shareholder of the broker dealer. This case also resulted in the compliance officer of the broker dealer being barred from the industry for life.
- Settlement among several defendant freight forwarding companies who were sued by the shipper for damage on a load sent from California to Texas.
- Represented a client in a New York Stock Exchange investigation of his termination after his statements to his clients were in contrary to the brokerage firm’s current recommendation concerning Enron stock (pending) and prosecuted civil action against employer for wrongful termination. Case settled in favor of client.
- Represented multiple clients involved in real estate securities sales issues totaling approximately $45 Million in sales.
- Represented oil and gas refineries in investigations involving sales practices of prior officers by state regulators.
Current Employment Position
- Corporation and Partnership Issues 35%
- Securities 10%
- Business Litigation 40%
- MDL Litigation 15%
- Texas, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1997