Thomas Ryan Lemens
Mr. Lemens practices primarily in the fields of contract law, including both its transactional and litigation aspects, and intellectual property litigation. In his transactional practice, Mr. Lemens drafts detailed private placement memoranda for small working partners in the saltwater disposal industry seeking to conduct SEC-exempt securities offerings. He also prepares agreements to ensure the efficient protection of intellectual property rights in heavily technical fields such as quantitative finance. In his litigation practice, Mr. Lemens principally contests commercial contracts in the oil and gas and intellectual property fields; he also handles disputes in interpreting wills, trusts, and other estate-planning documents.
Prior to joining The Spencer Law Firm, Mr. Lemens worked at a small plaintiff-side insurance coverage firm in Houston. There, he drafted numerous demand letters, petitions, and federal-court motions; propounded and responded to discovery requests; conducted and defended several depositions (both in-person and remotely); and argued his clients' cases at nearly a dozen mediations. He earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Texas at Austin. During law school, he won two state championship victories in the Giles Sutherland Rich IP Moot Court Competition, where he personally argued before Federal Circuit judges Chen, Reyna, and Prost.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. – 05/2018
- Honors: Dean’s Achievement Award (Oil and Gas), Fall 2017
- Honors: Editor of the Year (Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law), 2017-2018
- Honors: Best Appellee Brief, 2018; National Finalist, 2018; and Regional Champion, 2017 and 2018
- Law Journal: Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal, Chief Articles Editor
- Law Journal: Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal, Articles of Editor
- University of Texas – Austin
- Bachelor of Business Administration – Business Honors Program and Management Information Systems – 05/2015
- Bachelor of Arts – 05/2015
- Activities: Society of Professional Mediators, University Securities Investment Team
- Thesis: Kickstarting Innovation: Evaluating the Effects of Differing Governance Modes on Organizational Value Creation and Appropriation
- Products Liability
- Texas, 2018
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2018
- Murr Yanochik, P.L.L.C. a/k/a Murr Law, P.L.L.C.
- Cronin, PLLC
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association